Riparian habitat makes up less than three percent of the land in Colorado, but is used by over 90 percent of the wildlife in the state.
87 percent of the water leaving Colorado flows out of the Colorado River Basin toward the Pacific Ocean. The remaining 13 percent of the water leaving Colorado flows out of the Missouri, Arkansas, and Rio Grande river basins toward the Atlantic Ocean.
The hottest spring water in the state (82 degrees Celsius, 180 degrees Fahrenheit) is found in Hortense Hot Springs in Chaffee County. The largest hot spring in Colorado is Big Spring in Glenwood Springs with a maximum discharge greater than 2,200 gallons per minute.
Grand Lake is 265 feet deep – the deepest natural lake in Colorado.
89 percent of Colorado’s naturally occurring lakes are found at altitudes above 9,000 feet.
There are more than 9,000 miles of streams and 2,000 lakes and reservoirs open to fishing in Colorado.
A dry wash or ephemeral stream flows during and for short times after rain or snowmelt. Other names for a dry wash include: draw, gully, swale, arroyo, and gulch.
South Platte water is used in the following ways: 10 percent for city and industrial use, 65 percent for irrigation, and three percent for reservoir evaporation. Twenty-two percent leaves the state.
In Colorado’s peatlands or “fens,” peat forms at an average rate of eight inches every 1,000 years.
Colorado contains 13 different streams named Clear Creek.